#60 - Families Have More Power Than What They’re Led To Believe with Amanda E. White - Episode 60
If a family member is dealing with addiction, what should the other family members do? Should they immediately take them to a rehab or should they start a family conversation?
Christopher welcomes Amanda E. White, Licensed Therapist and creator of the popular Instagram page @therapyforwomen to talk not only about dealing with substance abuse, but how her family helped her get over her addiction problem. She gives Christopher a glimpse of the past: How it all started by experimenting to handle her eating disorder to full-on relying on drugs and how intervention and therapy aided her to get where she is today.
The Why Intervention Podcast is aimed at helping family and friends feel supported and encouraged that recovery from addiction is possible, for themselves as well as their loved ones. You'll hear how to affect positive change in their life and help your loved one begin a successful recovery. Host Christopher Doyle shares his insights, talks with experts and interviews people who have gone through recovery.
Links and Resources from this Episode
- Experiences working with families as a therapist. - 1:46
- Her motivations to study in the field. - 2:19
- If you’re a people pleaser, you’re probably a parent pleaser. - 4:37
- How she started experimenting. - 6:48
- Studying to be a therapist to help with her eating disorder. - 7:36
- What’s driving it? - 12:28
- How often do they disregard or not take the possibility of addiction? - 16:01
- Her parents were aware of the alcohol and drug problems and what they did in response. - 20:56
- What’s behind their disbelief? - 22:39
- Years it took her to figure everything out. - 29:44
- What happened next after failing the 30 day challenge? - 35:07
- Approach if addiction is present with something else. - 37:44
- How she lovingly explains to clients that they need to own their own shit. - 40:28
- Where is the guilt coming from? - 45:07
- The beauty of having an intervention. - 54:44
Review, Subscribe and Share
If you like what you hear please leave a review by clicking here
Make sure you’re subscribed to the podcast so you get the latest episodes.