#59 - How and When To Talk With The SuperEgo, Anti-Hero or the Survivor
Many people don’t really understand why other people become addicted to alcohol, substances or drugs. But if a loved one is suffering from it, what’s the best thing to do in this situation?
Christopher and Danny talk about the very definition of addiction and how addiction can cause a rift in relationships. They share how as a family member, you can give the help that they desperately need. They also reiterate the importance of utilizing a family: Not only seeking the help of a professional, but having a conversation with your loved one matters.
The Why Intervention Podcast is aimed at helping family and friends feel supported and encouraged that recovery from addiction is possible, for themselves as well as their loved ones. You'll hear how to affect positive change in their life and help your loved one begin a successful recovery. Host Christopher Doyle shares his insights, talks with experts and interviews people who have gone through recovery.
Links and Resources from this Episode
- The Outsider by Stephen King
- The Outsider Series
- Using a tool when it comes to explaining to immediate families as if you’re dealing with three different people and that you’re talking to a person dealing with addiction. - 0:44
- The three ways to look at it. - 1:22
- Story of the person who got drunk for the first time. - 4:23
- The key metaphor that is helpful for people in recovery. - 7:48
- The power of choice. - 12:11
- For us, a lot of the freedom is gonna come when we finally come to grips with this. When we finally understand it. - 14:54
- The very definition of addiction. - 18:02
- It’s a losing battle: Even if you win the fight, you lose. - 27:52
- Is the survivor remorseful? - 34:31
- How many people in recovery know that they can’t do this anymore? - 35:04
- As a family member or a loved one, should you always have a conversation with the survivor? - 39:55
- The “less is more” approach. - 44:41
- Trying to figure things out on your own is exhausting. - 48:46
- What sparked Chris’ intention to begin with the transformation and recovery. - 52:00
- Final thoughts. - 54:24
Review, Subscribe and Share
If you like what you hear please leave a review by clicking here
Make sure you’re subscribed to the podcast so you get the latest episodes.