#52: Defeating Alcoholism: Transitioning From Being a Repeat Abuser with Gillian Tietz - Episode 52
Can a repeat alcoholic or alcohol abuser change? What are the reasons why a person turns to alcohol to solve his or her problems? These are some of the questions that Chris and Gillian answered. Gillian, the brain behind the Sober Powered Podcast, shares her journey from being a repeat alcoholic hating herself and thinking of herself as a loser to helping people get over alcoholism. She talks about how people around her changed her perception about dealing with her problems and how you can also take the journey of healing and recovering.
The Why Intervention Podcast is aimed at helping family and friends feel supported and encouraged that recovery from addiction is possible, for themselves as well as their loved ones. You'll hear how to affect positive change in their life and help your loved one begin a successful recovery. Host Christopher Doyle shares his insights, talks with experts and interviews people who have gone through recovery.
Links and Resources from this Episode
- Who is Gillian Tietz? - 0:33
- What fascinated Gill as a biochemist to get into neuroplasticity, effects of alcohol in the brain, etc? - 1:20
- Supporting the brain concept: As soon as we start, we can’t stop. - 5:26
- Different experiences in life affect alcoholism and alcohol dependence. - 5:55
- When I first quit, I hated myself so much. - 11:04
- 20% of drinkers are high functioning. - 13:45
- Effects of abusing alcohol results in Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. - 17:55
- We drink because we’re getting something from it. Something good is occurring from drinking that makes us want to keep on drinking. - 21:38
- Gill’s second worst night drinking. - 23:54
- How much in her moderation attempts are wrapped up in “I need to stop entirely” but start drinking again? - 29:53
- Enough is enough: How the change started? Who are the people who helped her? - 36:23
- It took six months of sobriety and repairing my life to finally like myself. - 43:17
- Key things that got Gill into transformation. - 48:57
Review, Subscribe and Share
If you like what you hear please leave a review by clicking here
Make sure you’re subscribed to the podcast so you get the latest episodes.