#49: This is What Your Addicted Loved One Tells Themselves Before They Relapse - Episode 49
This is part 3 about addiction with Chris and Danny. They talked about how addicts fight the will to stay away from drugs and alcohol. Chris and Danny also discussed family members’ roles in helping someone get over their addiction and how the change doesn’t start simple: It starts within ourselves.
The Why Intervention Podcast is aimed at helping family and friends feel supported and encouraged that recovery from addiction is possible, for themselves as well as their loved ones. You'll hear how to affect positive change in their life and help your loved one begin a successful recovery. Host Christopher Doyle shares his insights, talks with experts and interviews people who have gone through recovery.
Links and Resources from this Episode
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- You have to let an alcoholic keep their bottle. - 3:27
- Do you really wanna be sober right now? - 9:36
- “I am the problem. I have a million problems with myself that don’t include drugs and alcohol.” I think it’s so important for parents and family members to know that. - 11:56
- As a family member, you can begin to see how futile your efforts are to negotiate or broker a deal with someone dealing with recovering. - 17:51
- My mind wouldn’t shut off. It would just keep going while I’m thinking about the future. 20:10
- We’re just feeling the feelings and the feelings grow in intensity and we don’t want to feel those feelings. - 22:17
- What helped Danny forget about the pain and misery that drugs caused him. - 34:39
- Influence of Alcoholics Synonymous. - 35:14
- In one-on-one combat, addicts lose to addiction. - 41:45
- The problem is me. The problem is inside of me. And I have no choice in the matter. - 42:36
- In order to turn my mind off, for one minute, I’ll trade away everything. That’s how powerful drugs and alcohol did to me. - 45:22
- The baffling thing about addiction. - 47:09
Review, Subscribe and Share
If you like what you hear please leave a review by clicking here
Make sure you’re subscribed to the podcast so you get the latest episodes.